Two young men from Kunhlar Village in Mudon Township, Mon State, who were arrested by village authorities in 2025 on accusations of theft and disorderly conduct, were reportedly forcibly sent to military training and are now believed to be serving on the frontlines, according to people close to their families.
The two 17-year-old youths from Kunhlar Village were arrested by the village administrator’s group in July 2025 and later charged at the Ka Mar Wet police station, local sources said.
About five months after their arrest, one of the youths was transferred to Kyaikmaraw Prison without prior notice to his family and was later sent to the Southeastern Command headquarters, according to a person close to the family.
The source said the youth is currently believed to be at a frontline battlefield near Sittwe in Rakhine State.

“That boy recently called one of his friends in Kunhlar and talked about his situation. He said he had arrived in Sittwe and was at the frontline. After that, there has been no further contact,” the source said.
Local residents also suspect the second youth may have been sent to military training after he disappeared following his reported transfer to Kyaikmaraw Prison.
“After more than three months, when it was close to five months, the boy’s mother asked the administrator again. The administrator said he had already been sent to Kyaikmaraw Prison. Later, they said he jumped from the prison transport vehicle while being transferred from Kyaikmaraw to Thaton and disappeared,” the source added.
Family members said they did not receive clear answers when asking authorities about the case. Local administrators reportedly told them to “search for him themselves if they were dissatisfied.”
A person close to the Mon Unity Party (MUP) said family members had sought assistance regarding the case.
“They came to explain the situation to the MUP and also to the liaison office in Thanbyuzayat to ask what could be done. However, we are still unable to take responsibility for resolving the matter,” the source said.
Residents in Kunhlar Village said the military junta had faced difficulties recruiting conscripts in the area. After the arrest of the two youths, there were no more reports of conscription activities, leading some residents to believe the pair may have been used as replacements for military service.
Local residents said they are concerned about the current condition of the two youths and are calling on relevant authorities to conduct a transparent investigation into the case.
Sources also said the military junta is continuing to recruit conscripts for Batch 24 of military training scheduled for May 25 by drawing lots in local areas and visiting homes to summon selected individuals.

