A man from Chaungzon faces accusations under the election obstruction law for tearing down a list of election candidate’s names posted at the Kwan Yeik village administrative office in Chaungzon township, Mon State.
A resident from Kwan Yeik said that on November 5, U Kyaw Myint, a 65-year-old man, tore down the posted lists at the village administration office after consuming alcohol.
The Chaungzon police station confirmed that U Kyaw Myint had indeed torn down the list. Officials from the Kwan Yeik administration verified and signed the record, noting that under the election law, he could face imprisonment. Warnings had been given not to remove or tamper with the posted lists, a local source close to the village administration added.

“The orders have not yet been issued. The investigation teams are still reviewing the case. The administration and local authorities witnessed the lists being torn and signed the record. Under the election law, he could be jailed. We had already warned against even touching the posted lists,” the source said.
Currently, U Kyaw Myint is being held at Chaungzon Township Police Station and has been charged under Case No. (P) 126/2025 for obstruction of the multi-party general election, under Sections 26(a) and 24(a) of the Election Obstruction Prevention Law.
Under Section 14(a) of the same law, those found guilty of interfering with multi-party general elections organised by the election commission may face a minimum of three years and a maximum of seven years in prison, as well as possible fines.
It is reported that U Kyaw Myint is a local villager with no links to any armed group.
Observers monitoring the election, both online and on the ground, have noted that, so far, nearly 100 people have been detained under the election law for criticising or protesting the commission-organised elections.
